You nurture, protect and care for the things you love. And, your furniture should be no exception. But in a recent survey conducted by TheNest.com, nine out of 10 women say they have either a basic or no understanding of how to care for their furniture.
Here are some tips on how to care for your wood furniture:
* Dust. Use a non-scratch cloth to lightly remove dust once a week. Always wipe the cloth in the same direction of the wood grain.
* Clean. Use a for-wood-only cleanser once a month. If it's a frequently used piece that tends to attract spills, such as a kitchen table, clean weekly. Spray the cleanser onto a cotton cloth to help prevent spotting. Wipe in the direction of the wood grain.
* Polish. Enhance and maintain wood's natural luster by polishing it twice a month. Use a no-wax, no-silicone product to restore natural radiance, free from greasy film and fingerprints.
* Repair damage. Always keep touch-up products handy to cover up scratches and minor blemishes.
* Moisturize. Oiled wood furniture needs to be moisturized weekly to protect from water stains, replenish lost oils and prevent cracking and fading from sun damage.
-- Family Features